Thursday, May 5, 2011

Old Shutter Becomes a Coat Rack

I've been wanting a place to hang coats and things by my front door for a while.  When I found this old shutter at one of my favorite places to shop, the Gibson Mill Depot in Concord, the light bulb went off...  Why not add hooks and turn it into my own cottage style coat rack?



Don't you just love the rustic edge and chippy blue paint? I can't seem to get enough of that look!



This turned out to be one of the easiest projects ever once I figured out what hooks to buy.  The piece itself was so unique and pretty in itself, I opted for some simple silver hooks from Home Depot.  I think they contrast nice with the shabby look of the shutter.  Only trick is that I had to get different screws, because the ones that came with the hooks were meant to go into a wall, and were too long. 


Once I had the supplies, I just made some quick measurements to make sure my hooks were spaced evenly, and drilled them in.  Then I added a couple d-hooks to the back of the shutter for hanging.  And here is the final outcome - functional and fabulous :)





3 comments:

  1. This is so cute Renee!! You are so creative! I want to visit this place you talk about so if you ever need a shopping buddy to go up there, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I'm excited to let you know CountryLiving.com loves your DIY hook/rack idea and will be including the idea and one of the photos from this blog post in an upcoming roundup. We will, of course, credit you and link to your site.

    If you do NOT want us to use the photo, please let me know ASAP.

    I'll tweet out a link to the article when it is published online, so follow me on Twitter to check it out!

    Thanks so much,

    Ellen Niz
    CountryLiving.com contributor

    ReplyDelete